In just a few days, little Brady turns one year old! I'm busy today installing gates at the doorways going into the sewing room and into the kitchen! But, yesterday (which was dreaded laundry day) I took the time to make a couple of quick pairs of britches. Brady's Mom asked me to make up some for his birthday photos...where he will get to dig-in (literally!) to his first birthday cake.
She provided three fabrics...and I added a polka dot that I liked.
These are reversable...which might be a good thing considering all the cake icing he's sure to get into! I found the pattern available free at danamadeit blog...titled the perfect diaper cover. She has some other cute childrens' outfits with free tutorials too!
My little wallet is just so dirty, and has the little elastic loop about stretched out from putting too many things in that tiny little space. So, I decided it's time to make me a change purse...but a slightly oversized one. This is my first attempt at doing a hinged purse, but I'm generally happy with the result.
The purse is silk inside and out. The only thing that bothers me about it is that you can see the thread from the stitches on the inside. Although it is thin beading thread...and matches the color of the purse; it still bugs me.
Any idea on how to cover this up...without using any glue. I want this to be an all hand-sewn endeavor. I'd like to make my mother one, but don't want the stitching to show. My thought is to so some stem stitch along that inside metal part to cover it up...just not sure yet if that will be enough or if it is even feasible. I'll try it out on mine and let you know later on...but open for ideas!
3/9/14 Edited to Add: So many have asked...the purse frame came from crazyquiltingsupplies.com...tell Thearica that I sent you. Ha!
These past couple of days I've been working on a special cross-stitch rose project...one of the March challenges at StitchMAP. I love roses...so doing this was a pure joy. This year, Shari is having a hexagon challenge each month...three challenges actually...because each month has three different designs/techniques/etc to choose from. You can do just one...or all three. I'm helping out with some of the challenges...like last month there were two designs from me...and one from Shari. There will be different designers each month. The cool thing about this rose is that it is all one color (which I wish was a bit darker than the light pink I chose).
It starts with some 2-ply full cross stitch work...
Then, some 2-ply half cross stitch work...see the needle? It is pointing at a sloppy stitch...one that I pulled back out and separated those threads in. I need a trolly needle...one that fits on your finger. But, I use my regular needle and pull the threads through with my left hand after beginning the stitch. The work is so much neater when the plys are laying side-by-side and not all twisted up. I'm stitching on waste canvas...water soluble...by DMC...what smart folks to come up with that product!
And finishes with some 1-ply full cross stitch, and 1-ply half cross stitch...to get the unique shading effect. The rose is outlined in backstitch of a shade darker than the other work. Very challenging to keep things straight in my head while stitching! But, also very easy to follow along...I just had to take my time and 'think'! It looks like a bit of a jumbled mess close up...with the full stitches going in the opposite direction on top than the surrounding half stitches...
but back a bit you see that they adds in the shading effect.