Friday, January 28, 2011

BE Block for Karrin

Brazilian Embroidery is beautiful! And, I wish I could really stitch in this technique..so, I've joined the Brazilian Embroidery International Group on Yahoo. Hope I learn something! But, before that...I signed up to participate in a round robin exchanges on Crazy Quilters International Yahoo Group...titled Brazilian Embroidery. My first block to stitch on is Karrin's...

Karrin actually created two blocks...the first one was lost in the mail, so it had to be re-created. So, this block required some priority attention when it was received to keep the rotation mailing date from slipping...but, I'm done and it is going in today's mail! Yeah! Karen's instructions included her desire for the finished block to have some bias binding in a vertical and horizontal position...as a window pane...and she wanted the completed block to "be as though you were looking out of my window". So, I added the bits of tape (bandage type) to mimic where the bias binding would go. Since there are four ladies stitching on this...that also divides the stitch space nicely. The Brazilian Embroidery part of the block for me is the flowers...

The pink ones are done in French Knot at the top and Raised Cup Stitch below; the daisies are Detached Chain Stitch; and the little loop flowers have Cast On Stitch green heads with white Bullion Knot flowers. If you look closely at the top photo...you will see that the sky is simply light blue seam treatments...just to add texture and fill the space. The tree truck is stitched...

and the leaves are velvet leaves from a little bunch of silk flowers. I stripped them from their wire stems and stitched them down by a simple back-stitch in the shape of veins. Then I added the "oranges" which are glass iridescent beads. The "ground cover" is tiny little flowers of lace that I detached from some yardage trim I had.
Post a Comment